Sustainability & Compliance
Holistic thinking determines our action. According to the Brundtland Commission's definition of sustainability, our processes and products are designed to meet the needs of people – without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
The 5R Approach
Our five pillars of sustainability
Recycling – Create a circular economy
- Most of our products will be recyclable before 2025. We already have a lot of recyclable products in our portfolio today.
- PE-based skin films/shrink films.
- PP-based rigid films.
- OPP lidding films and flowpacks.
- To optimise the cycle of potentially recyclable resources, we rely on flexible films consisting of mono materials and polyolefins while also researching materials that allow for even better recycling.
Replace – Development of new materials
- Our goal: to replace all non-sustainable materials with sustainable materials.
- Existing materials are replaced by innovative solutions such as DanaFibre, SuperThin and recyclable materials.
- Flowpacks and stand-up pouches, or thermoforming solutions, replace conventional packages.
Reduction – Ultra-thin and lightweight films
- Innovative research and development are the basis for thinner, light-weight films – with constantly high quality and functionality.
- SuperThin currently is the thinnest laminate film world-wide.
- Using our ultra-thin laminates, we reduce the amount of resources required for storage and transportation as well as the consumption of energy and the generation of carbon dioxide along the entire value chain.
Renewal – Keep balance
- We focus on resource-saving and renewable raw materials.
- We use e.g. FSC-certified paper, increasingly replacing fossil fuels with renewable alternatives.
- Our portfolio: paper, waxed paper, PE from renewable resources (bioethanol), DanaFibre, as well as starch-based films.
Responsibility – society, environment, and economy
We are committed to a responsible usage of raw materials – across all levels, at all our sites, from office lighting to the reduction of production waste.
- Society: We cooperate with social initiatives, scientific institutions, universities, communities, public authorities, and government organisations. We respect human rights and condemn child labour.
- Environment: Our target is the permanent reduction of raw material consumption. This covers both our products and our production. We therefore optimise our processes and procedures. On top of that, we increasingly use recyclable materials.
- Economy: We strive for long-term, sustainable partnerships with our customers and suppliers.
Sustainable packaging from a single source
From consulting to concept development and process implementation – using our rethink initiative, we support our customers, helping them to build up a more sustainable product portfolio. We are thus on our way to not only meet, but even exceed the sustainability goals defined by the EU for a circular economy and waste reduction.
Schur Flexibles is a member of the SAVE FOOD and CEFLEX initiatives.
Please download our brochure about sustainability here.
PRODUCT SAFETY AND COMPLIANCE
Regulatory Affairs is an indispensable building block of our customer service. We have experts for this at each production site of the Schur Flexibles Group. The team constantly evaluates the used raw materials, the processes and the packaging materials in terms of food safety. In addition, we regularly exchange information with our suppliers in order to meet this demand along the supply chain. We have thus created the basis allowing us to implement customer requests quickly and in the required quality.
Raw materials and final products are constantly monitored in order to meet national and international food law requirements, in particular according to EC Regulation (EU) 1935/2004 and Good Manufacturing Practice Regulation (EU) 2023/2006 – from development to delivery. The regular exchange with scientific bodies and continuous education of our team members guarantee our clients a high standard of regulatory services.